Friday, October 23, 2009

Poor Little Feller



This is the little guy.  It's the only egg that hatched.  I snapped this pic last night.  I had brought my plants inside because we had a frost the other night.  A small spider was in my hibiscus and had created a big web across to the wall and over the babies brooding box.  I tried not disturb the spider.  I love spiders.  Don't want to touch them, but I am so fascinated by how the operate.  Where does all that silk come from?  If you wadded it all up into a ball it would be three times as big as the spider! 
Anyway, back to the baby.  He was born last Wednesday, October 14th, around 4 p.m.  How lonely he must be, peeping (quite loudly), in that box with no one around to listen.  I can't put him outside yet.  I want him to be at least three weeks of age, as we have had some cool nights.  Only one night of frost, and today will be near 80 degrees farenheit.  I think temps will dip to the mid 50's tonight.  I can't wait to get the poor little fellar outside for some company.  Maybe he can go visit China's babies for tea.  LOL
No big plans for the weekend.  My nephew and neice were upset, as they were not able to visit us last weekend.  They were visiting Grandma and Buddy.  But Mike promised them this weekend.  They both have soccer games Saturday morning.  It weather permits, we will attend the games.  Otherwise, we shall pick them up at their home.  We will find activities when they arrive.  Everyone have a good weekend!!

9 comments:

John Going Gently said...

have you a small teddy to but in with him?
......some chicks do poorly without company...but I guess you already know this...

poor little chap

Chicken Boys said...

I visit him frequently, pet him, and make clucking sounds. Mike does, too.

Tracey said...

Oh bless him! He's so cute...XXX

Cori said...

Oh I know the agony of the single hatchling. Some are calm and do just fine while some peep and peep like they're callin for their momma.

Love your blog!

Nancy K. said...

I wonder if it would snuggle up to a stuffed toy? Poor thing will take a beating when it goes in with the rest of the flock. :-(

Chicken said...

Aww, too bad he's alone ;( maybe you should give him some friends, nobody wants to be alone, LOL. he's cute anyway.. :)

Anonymous said...

He is a cute little thing! and he does look like a he to me. I am sure he will be just fine(and spoiled).
I love watching spiders too. I don't want to play with them or anything but it is so interesting to see how they catch those insects and rush to wrapped them in web. Their webs are so pretty. I had seen one time where someone would take a piece of wood and somehow get the web on the wood and paint it so the web showed up. It was beautiful!
We had a very light frost here already too. Very early for us.
Have a great day.
Pam

Chickens in the Basement said...

Hey, Thanks for visiting my blog! I love this story. My blog got named Chickens in the Basement when I became the custodian of Skippy. He lived in the house until he was too big, then he lived in the garage until it was warm enough for him to move to the henhouse, then it was another 6 weeks until the girls would even talk to him. However, he is the best rooster and loves to sit in my lap. Every now and then, he forgets that I'm NOT one of his girls and has to be put in his place. I do love my chickens!

Anna

Sara said...

Oh bless the little fellow! I'm afraid I would be tempted to carry him around with me all day, but I know it wouldn't be good as he would likely imprint too strongly & then not be able to relate to other chooks. I made a fake mother hen for my brooder. It is just lots of strips of fabric (from an old sweater) tied up together at one end then hung up so that the ends just touch the bottom of the brooder. My little chooks get in amongst the strands like they would a momma hen's skirts :-)