Monday, January 4, 2010

A Busy Start

My new year has not had a slow beginning.  New Year's eve was end-of-month close out for work, so that meant reports out the wazoo, as usual.  Mike had been sick all week and was in bed quite early New Years Eve.  I was intending to stay up to watch the ball drop at Time Square, but I don't care for the musical na-na's of the shows they put on.  So, as any old person would do, I watched the news channels...CNN, FOX News, etc.  But laying on the couch does not help you stay awake.  I fell asleep sometime around 11 p.m.  I woke around 1:30 a.m., shut off the tv, lights, and fish tank lights, and headed off to bed.  New Years Day was rainy and nasty out.  It was quite unmemorable.  House work and chores and such.  Then Saturday morning my mom called around 8:30 a.m. just as I was waking up.  (I slept in)  She was crying and it scared me.  I immediately thought there was some sort of accident and someone was hurt or worse.  She told me her chest was hurting, she thought she had pneumonia and wanted me to come take care of her and my gimp dad.  I jumped up, bathed, packed for the weekend and headed to their house.  My grandfather took her to the ER when I arrived and a couple of hours later she arrived back home with the diagnosis of FLU.  I asked if it was bird flu, swine flu, or human flu to which she replied, "Does it matter?"  So Granddad went to town to get fried chicken from Hardee's for dinner while I did a little cleaning.  I made some Christmas sugar cookies that evening, and Granddad steamed some oysters he brought home from Chinkoteague, VA where he's been fishing out of lately.  My cousin Mike (not to be confused with my Mike) was over to visit, and we watched some college football...ECU needs a new kicker!!.  Sunday was a little more cleaning and NFL football.  I put on a roast in the slow cooker, and Granddad said he'd look in on it before he left to go back out fishing.  I headed home to get myself ready for work today, and to tell Mike that Mom wanted him to come out to help some more.  So my new year has not been slow.  Mike's at the folks, and I'm spending a rare night alone.  It might be fast food, but I might also stop by Food Lion for an easy and quick cook-for-yourself dinner.  I'll have to see.

10 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. I know it is scary when they call crying. Hope she is well soon. I was to bed early -9:30- on new years eve. Love the new header and the background.

Chickens in the Basement said...

Glad it's not pneumonia! The flu is tough this year! Hope your Mom is well soon and you and Mike stay healthy!

Anna

Jimmy said...

Hopefully, you don't get sick. Who will tend the peeps? Drive thru food is always my choice. Never been known for my cooking (nor do I want to be).

Anonymous said...

Hope your mother feels better soon. We had a similar call on christmas eve from my mother-in-law. She had slipped on the ice and broken her arm. So my husband spent all afternoon in the hospital while they x-rayed and plastered and x-rayed again! Now she's learning how to do everything with one hand, so we pop over every so often to cook or take shopping for her. Feels like role-reversal all of a sudden you know? We've got to an age where our parents need us instead of us needing them.

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

your new year's eve isn't like what we have here - a party! people are out on the street lighting fire crackers, stereo of every house is in full volume, cars honking, and our sky lit up with different colors. me and my neighbors even brought out tables and chairs and laid then out on the street where we put our food and drinks, and we share it with everybody. it was fun as we count down to midnight, although i admit that when the mayhem broke lose at midnight i retreated to my bedroom because i cannot stand the noise. the ground reverberated with each "boom!"
we do welcome the new year with a Bang!
xoxoxoxo

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom! But it's great that you're able to go and be with them to help out! I hope everyone is feeling better!! TAKE CARE!!

TxFarmhouse said...

Ohhh, sorry to hear about your mom. My mom had the flu over the holidays too and everytime I turned around, she was back in bed. It took it's toll on her.
Hope everyone stays well.
Berte

farmlady said...

Well that had to be scary for your Mom. When your chest hurts and you're older you always think somethings wrong with your heart. In this case the Flu was "the lesser of two evils" I guess.
You did good! Most sons would avoid the whole thing. You must be a nice guy.
Hope the New Year slows down for you soon.

Callie Brady said...

Hope your Mom and Mike will be well soon. That is a scary way to start the new year. You and your Granddad did a great job taking care of your Mom. Hope all goes smoothly from now on.

LemonyRenee' said...

Oh, what a start to the new year! Well, think of it this way, maybe you got all your worries and struggles out for this year out of the way early.

Okay, prolly not, but think of it that way at least for a while.

Had to laugh about your tv program selections on New Year's eve . . . we thought/did the exact same thing here.