Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Back to the Mines

It was a lovely four-day weekend, though.  Mike picked me up from work on Friday, and had my nephew and niece with him.  I got home, did my afternoon chores...you know, feeding the chickens, gathering veggies....all the regular stuff.  The kids were in the pool, and I joined them late evening.  Saturday, and old friend came over to visit.  My nephew and niece were there, so she called her daughter to bring over her grandson to play with them in the pool.  The neighbor's son came over as well.  Then another friend showed up as we getting all the grilling going.  Mike had a couple of pork shoulders on the grill over oak wood since 8 a.m. that morning.  So he brought his daughter over.  Before long, it was a bit of a party.  Sunday, another friend, who has a house in Chocowinity, on the Pamlico River invited us to join him.  So we packed up a lunch of sandwiches and such and went fishing, swimming, and boating on the river.  Monday I did odd things around the house, worked in the garden, played with the chickens.  Our lady friend came over again, and we grilled again.  Then, my acutal birthday, Tuesday, I spent a good part of the day chopping weeds in the garden.  Oh, I also cleaned the big fish tank.  The smaller one only had one fish in it, so I put it in a large jar with some plants rooting in it.  I'm gonna clean the smaller one, and maybe put salt water fish in it.  Or a lizard or spider or something.  Mike and I had some smoked sausages for dinner and watch X-Men Origins-Wolverine.  Just a relaxing evening at home.  It was a busy weekend.  Oh, I do have some pics of the river we went to.  Mike took them a couple of weeks ago when he was there to help with some work.
Joel and Cheyanne in the pool

My other niece is at my parent's house (Grandma and Buddy) and called today to tell me happy birthday.  Mom got on the phone and said they did think about me, but just didn't get around to calling.  But they want to take Mike and I out to dinner Friday evening.  All in all it was a nice birthday weekend.  I need a few more of those....long weekends, not birthdays.  I so hate getting older.  But for now, it's back to work.

12 comments:

Donna said...

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! Sounds like a Wonderful few days and Birthday, off!
hughugs

LindaG said...

Glad to hear you had such a great time! :)

Melodie said...

Well happy birthday! It sounds like a great weekend and the river looks beautiful!

Jim said...

That was quite the party and gathering.....sounded like lots of fun for everyone.

Tracey said...

Impromptu parties are always the most fun.... Me & Penny would have enjoyed that one! xxx

farmlady said...

I'm glad you had such a good birthday weekend. Hope work didn't ruin it too much.

Simply Debbie said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY.
IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A VERY FUN 4 DAYS...DID YOU CATCH ANY FISH...MY DADDY FISHES ALL YEAR FOR BASS, FREEZES THE FISH AND THEN IN AUGUST HAS A BIG FISH FRY...THIS WOULD BE HIS 34TH IF HE HAS IT THIS YEAR. LAST YEAR THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT BECAUSE AMY WAS SO ILL. BUT IT SURE IS FUN VISITING WITH EVERYONE OVER THE YEARS. I AM GLAD YOUR MOTHER TOOK YOU BOYS OUT TO EAT.
ANGEL HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Anonymous said...

Dear Randy and Mike, It sounds to have been a really enjoyable birthday weekend - excellent company, delicious food, and a great deal of fun. The river where you went fishing looks idyllic [but also very large, unlike most European rivers]. And now you have Friday evening to look forward to. I hope that you have a wonderful time. A belated Happy Birthday, and many, many happy returns.

BadPenny said...

looks like such fun glad you had great time

Chicken Boys said...

Thank you to all for the wonderful birthday wishes. It was a lovely weekend.
Edith Hope-The river is large where we were, but we were near the mouth where it empties into the Pamlico Sound. Further up the river it gets quite narrow and shallow.

Debbie-We didn't catch any fish, but it was fun nonetheless. We'll probably do some more this weekend. My Grandfather is a commercial fisherman. He's been fishing since he was 12 years old, and is now 77 years old. He brings home fish, scallops, shrimp and such from time to time.

~Randy

Anonymous said...

pleased you had a great time!

I would love a whale or an elephant...you did make me laugh you pillock!! :) xxx

Nancy K. said...

Wow! I'm jealous. I can barely squeak a one day celebration out of a birthday and you get a three day weekend out of it!!! You must be doing something right!

Wishing you many more...