Monday, February 22, 2010

Good Weekend, Bad Monday

We had a very nice weekend.  It was sunny and fairly warm!  Saturday, Mike made another little chicken coop.  And I spent a good part of the day cleaning out the storage shed.  It was so full that you could barely get inside the door.  I cleared out tons of junk!  There is so much space in there now! 

Our friend, Les, had gotten a few roosters from us earlier this year.  He ended up returning some.  He returned two white silkie roosters because he didn't really have room for them.  Then he returned a white mixed bantam rooster.  The white bantam (which is a pretty bird) got put in with another bantam hen that just started laying her first eggs a couple of weeks ago.  One of the silkie roosters also got put in with another bantam hen that just started laying.  I didn't know if that would work, but he's topping her (that's what I call it anyway, to be mild).  So we will see how that goes, eh?!

Then, my younger sister called to just say hi, and Mike told her to bring the kids over to spend the night.  So she did.  And it started out pleasant.  But Saturday night didn't end well.  Cheyanne is eight years old, and did quite well.  Joel, who just celebrated his sixth birthday last month, had a big problem.  First, a little history (in a nutshell).  He's got a very short attention span and was recently diagnosed with ADD.  He's now on medication that has changed him tremendously (mostly in a good way) and has also helped him in school.  But just before dinner he said that his stomach was hurting.  He ate very little dinner and only one bite of his ice cream sandwich.  Then the nastiness began.  It was diahrea all night long.  He was laying in bed with Mike watching tv and fell asleep.  When I went to move him it came from both ends.  I stripped the bed and his clothes and put him in the bath.  Clothes and bed sheets got thrown onto the porch till morning.  It happened again, and we went through the same routine.  I had no medicine for him, and his mom was not answering her cell phone.  So we trudged through the night and he woke feeling better Sunday morning.  He did throw up again late Sunday morning after jumping on the neighbor's trampoline and spent the rest of the time on the couch watching cartoons.  His mom came to pick up JJ and Cheyanne just after lunch. 

Mike and I just piddled around with odd jobs outside.  The weather was just too nice to stay indoors.  He put the wire on the breeding coop he made, and I moved around some chickens.  We've got several roosters that have been alone most of the winter.  No need to have hens getting roughed up if they're not laying.  So, I grabbed a few hens and put them in with roosters.  And Mike put an Omaha Steaks roast on the grill over some oak wood.  It turned out very delicious!  We had au jus that we dipped french fries into, and a spinach and tomato salad.

Then, I came to work this morning.  It was not pleasant.  I think I will spare those details, but I get e-mail updates that tell me about jobs that become available in the area.  Still waiting on a call from SFC Cook about the reserves.  She told me Friday that I'm probably getting the boot out the door.  She was checking so regs for some way around (I don't really believe that) but she would let me know for sure today or tomorrow.  The really stupid part is I can go see a recruiter and get right back in.  That's the U.S. Government (not) hard at work.  Whatever.  I'm in a pissy mood today, and almost didn't post.  I only did because I haven't since last Wednesday.


Edith Hope said...

Dear Randy and Mike, I am so sorry. You seem to have had a really dreadful time with your sister's children - all that laundry to cope with.

But, from what you say you did have a delicious sounding dinner on Sunday which must have been a relief after that very fraught time.

You seem to be very busy with the chicken. How many do you have as you seem always to be building more coops?

Things do not appear to be going very well with the army but perhaps a way round the problem will be found. I do hope so for you and that the rest of the week will turn out well.

LemonyRenee' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Gray said...

not every day can be a bag of laughs!
have a large gin and for me every time

Jim, The Gaudy Garden said...

I use to work for the government (V.A.), and tomorrow means, when I get around to it. If they do release you,just think, you will be free to be. I don't know how many years you have in and I understand the security and the retirement thing, but life after the gov. is heaven. Nothing like being with normal people.

BTW, I'm envious that your nephew and niece come to visit over night. I wish we had that option.

LemonyRenee' said...

Good job on handling the little guy. Don't worry about not having medicine, he probably wouldn't have kept it down anyway. Sounds like you handled it like pros.

The coop is finished already? I'm impressed.

I will send hope and thoughts your way for things with the job to work out in whichever way turns out to be best for you.

Hang in there.

P.S. I deleted above because of numerous mispellings. Sorry.

Tracey said...

You are both natural parents, well done!
You do sound really pissed off, hope things improve for

houndini said...

Hi - Sounds like Uncles Randy and Mike handled it very well indeed. It's hard staying over at someone elses house when you're poorly - family or not! ...and it's even harder when it's your house that it's happening too!

I have 5 nieces and nephews - but they all live abit too far away (some 120 and some 200 miles away) which is a shame as I'd love them all to come and stay! Would be great just to even see them now and again!

Sorry to hear that things aren't right jobwise either - hope everything turns out for the best matey - Al

Gill - That British Woman said...

just so you know the Canadian Government is no better, I think they work together with the US Government on how to make the general public as frustrated as heck with them!!

Gill in Canada

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I'm not a "kid" person, we have 6 nephews, they are good boys, but no overnight stays. I can't handle (can't cleanup after) "coming out both ends." :-)

Why does the military want to get rid of ya? I don't comprehend.

Chickens in the Basement said...

I'll take my cabbage farts over your nephew's vomit/diahrea! Poor kid! and Poor ya'll!

Missy AKA Little Messy Missy said...

Oh boy that sounds like a horrible weekend. Kids being sick really suck! Good luck with the job... if they kick you out would you really hop back in??

jojo said...

sounds like you had a dreadful weekend, poor little guy, but i'M sure you are glad it's over. Hope things get better this week and you hear some good news. I love the new look on the blog...take care.

Donna said...

I always keep kid meds in the refrigerator..Never know when you might need them especially when the grown-up kids don't know how to answer their darn phones!
If I ever left my kids, I always had a phone nearby...geez..
Hope y'all are all doing better today!
Try to have a good one!

Becca's Dirt said...

Too bad about the sick baby. I agree with the above comment - he probably wouldn't have kept it down anyway.

Hope you are able to find the job you are looking for.

Hope it gets better for you. Sometimes life seems to dump on us but those times are what makes us stronger and sometimes leads us into different directions.

bad penny said...

Oh dear - poor you having to deal with that - not nice.

Hope things start to improve for you

Nekkid Chicken said...

Aaah Poor Joel and you, I keep Danactive yogurt drinks on hand during the winter ICK months. I don't know why but it seems to work along with pepto chewable tablets faster than anything to quell a queasy stomach upset. You guys sound like wonderful nuturing parents and animal care takers.

As far as the Army, while it's a job for some and a career for others. Your kind soul may be depending in the financial income but, you don't sound happy with staying in the corps. From experience after retirement from the USAF, I so much better love my life and the freedoms I gained becoming a private citizen again. One of your other readers is correct, there is life after federal service -- so find your dreams once you are released from service.

Many Blessings and Hugs
Hoe Hen Inn

Amy said...

oh no!! poor kid!

LMAO at the cartoon :D xxx